Braising uses two methods of cooking in one dish which are wet and dry heat. When braising, you have to lightly saute or fry the food lightly enough to remove its rawness then cook it slowly in a lower temperature while covered. That is what it makes this Beef and Mushroom Braised stew tender and yet rich and flavorful with the help of braising to lock in the juiciness of the beef then adding more savor when stewed with the sauce.
You should not miss to have this easy recipe that will make your beef extra special which you can share and enjoy with the whole family in an unbelievably 1 hour and 30 minutes total time cooking.
- Beef: Use sirloin or chuck cubes in this recipe to make it juice on the inside.
- Ground Black Pepper: Makes the beef flavorful and a bit spicy when rubbed to it.
- Salt: Enhances the flavor of the beef along with the black pepper.
- Butter: Adds richness to the dish.
- Mushrooms: Another distinctive flavor to the dish.
- Onion: Heightens the taste of the food.
- Garlic: Brings richness.
- Tomato Paste: Intensifies the sauce.
- Cream of Mushroom: Makes up the thick and savory sauce.
- Beef Broth: Provides more beefy taste.
- Parsley: Fresh and grassy flavor.
- Oregano: Gives aromatic and minty taste.
You can’t go wrong with this easy to follow Beef and Mushroom Braised Stew recipe.
- Rub: Massage the beef with ground black pepper and salt. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Braise: In a cooking pot over medium temperature, melt half of the butter then put the beef. Slightly cook for 3-5 minutes then remove and set aside.
- Sate: Using the same pot, saute the mushrooms, onions, and garlic in the remaining half of the butter until tender.
- Stir-Fry: Bring the beef back then cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stew: Stir in the beef broth, tomato paste, parsley and oregano. Bring to boil then cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Thicken: Pour the cream of mushroom and stir until hot.
- Serve: Put into the plate then serve.
Tips and Variations
This might be already a perfect recipe for a Braised Beef Stew but this can go for more when you want to make it extra special.
- Sauce: You can add all-purpose cream which is a bit sweet in taste that can balance the flavor.
As in other beef recipes with a little longer time to prepare, you can make more than what will be served that you can reheat for the other day’s meal.
- On the Fridge: Place in a container then put in the fridge. You can have this in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freeze: Place in a freezer bag then make sure there is no air when sealing or zipping then put in the freezer. This adds extra 3-4 weeks storage life to your dish.
- Reheat: You can have this reheated on the stovetop over 165 degrees F.
Beef and Mushroom Braised StewPrint Recipe
- 1 kg beef sirloin or chuck
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 800 g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 60mL tomato paste
- 1 cup cream of mushroom
- 1 L beef broth
- 2 tsp parsley, dried flakes
- 1/2 tsp oregano, dried
- Cut the beef in cubes.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic and mushroom in butter until tender. Set aside.
- Cook the beef cubes until brown. Add beef broth, salt and worcestershire sauce then bring to boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir ½ cup broth then pour in the mixture. Add the sauteed onion mixture then bring to boil stirring occasionally for 1 minute. Stir in sour cream.