This Chicken Afritada, a common viand in the Philippines, has ingredients found in every market and. Also, this comes in easy steps even beginner can have prepared and cooked in no time.
- Whole Chicken: Chicken parts differ in juiciness. You can pick what you desire to eat.
- Tomato Sauce: This serves as the base of the sauce. A bit sour but must make a good sauce.
- Potatoes: Potatoes when tender are perfect as part of the meal.
- Tomatoes: Freshly picked tomatoes give out natural tomato taste to the food.
- Bell pepper: Adds extra flavor and sweetness to this dish.
- Carrot: Gives additional flavor.
- Vegetable oil: As good as in everyday cooking.
- Garlic: Perfect for sautéing. Adds aroma.
- Onion: Adds savory taste to the food.
- Water: Adds volume to the sauce aside from tenderizing the meat.
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste.
- Saute: In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute garlic until aromatic then add onion. Stir until tender. Stir in tomatoes then mash until tender and skin gets separated.
- Simmer: Put chicken, cook until browned. Pour in water then bring to a boil. Pour in tomato sauce and let simmer. Stir occasionally until meat absorbs the flavors. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cook vegetables: Add potatoes and let simmer until tender followed by carrots until tender. Stir in bell pepper, let simmer for 1-2 minutes then add salt and pepper to taste.
Tips and Variations:
- Beef: This recipe can come as Beef Afritada as well. Just replace the chicken with beef, add more water, and boil for 1 and a half hours to tenderize.
- Pork: You can also have pork as afritada. Just add more water and boil for about 30 minutes more than chicken meat.
- Green Peas: This can also be added along with the vegetables to make it more flavorful and exciting.
You can save time by cooking more then store for later.
- On the fridge: Place in an airtight container then refrigerate. This can stay for another day or two.
- Freeze: You can have this for 5-7 days in the freezer by placing in a freezer bag.
- Reheat: Have this reheated on the stovetop for about 2-3 minutes. You may add one half cup of water to the sauce. Using a microwave, reheat this for 3-5 minutes. Just don’t forget to thaw when frozen.
Chicken AfritadaPrint Recipe
- 1250 g whole chicken, cut into serving pcs
- 250 mL tomato sauce
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, julienne
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- salt and ground black pepper to tas