Creamy and rich broth will surely make you fall in love. You can’t miss having an extraordinary soup seasoned with different spices. With its chicken and gnocchi that are good for the heart makes it deliciously healthy. Shredded carrots, celery and spinach make it more savory. This is a must make soup you’ll be glad you tried. Every sip of Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup will make you think of what else soup could go better than this than you can get served in no time.
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup is an Olive Garden Copycat recipe that is surprisingly easy to make despite its complex flavors. You can have this prepared in less than 20 minutes.
- Butter: Roux is often made with butter as its fat base.
- Olive oil: In a pan, melt the butter, onion, garlic and celery.
- Onion: Use diced onion on this soup.
- Celery: The crunch and aroma of diced celery is a good complement
- Garlic cloves: Minced garlic makes a touch of deep Italian flavor
- All-purpose flour: Also makes roux, flour thickens the structure as well
- Half-and-half: Whole milk and light cream gives out creaminess.
- Chicken broth: The more broth, the thicker it can get. Use as desired.
- Fresh thyme: Slightly mint and sweet balances the savor.
- Shredded carrots: Add natural sweetness.
- Spinach leaves: Chopped well for even distribution on your bowl.
- Chicken breast: Cook chopped chicken in a little amount of olive oil, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Potato gnocchi: This will complete the pasta experience.
- Salt and pepper: As desired.
How to Make Gnocchi:
Make Gnocchi from potatoes, flour and eggs. New to this? It was surprisingly good! Making pasta on your own makes it sound like it’s difficult but not so. But if you’re a bit afraid to try so, you can find good pre-made from the stores. Just if you’re ready to give it a try, here’s how to:
- Boil Potatoes: In a large pot, boil water then add salt. Carefully drop the peeled potatoes. Either use a strainer when pouring the water or just scoop them out.
- Combine: Make a ball of dough by kneading the mashed potato, flour and eggs.
- Cook Gnocchi: Have some salt in the water and bring to boil in a large pot. Cook your gnocchi for 3 to 5 minutes until it floats. Drain and serve.
Olive Garden Favorite Soup:
- Make a Roux: In a large pot add butter and olive oil. Over medium high heat sauté onion, celery and garlic until tender. Next, add the flour to create a roux and cook for another minute.
- Saute: In a large pot, add butter and olive oil. Sauté the onion, celery and garlic for about 30 secondsTo create a roux, simply add flour and let it cook for a minute.
- Add In Liquids: To thicken, pour the chicken broth slowly.Spices and Ingredients: Gnocchi, chicken, carrots, thyme, spinach makes this soup.
- Simmer: Allow gnocchi to get cooked while broth thickens the soup for about 5 minutes. Serve as soon as cooked to keep the warm. Salt and pepper can be added as desired.
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup comes best when:
- Gnocchi: Size depends on your preference but small size is preferable.
- Sauce: Lumps can be formed when heat is getting higher. Stir continuously.
- Spinach: Fresh spinach is better than frozen ones to prevent it from getting mushy.
- Vegetables: Dicing vegetables at the same size makes an evenly cooked outcome.
Variations you can go for:
- Substitutes for Gnocchi: You can definitely use pasta such as small shells or orzo. And be surprised that rice can be used too.
- Protein: Getting Italian sausage instead of chicken will change its name but won’t disappoint you. Just make sure to cook them until brown before adding it in.
- Vegetables: Peas, zucchini or asparagus are welcome to join the bowl.
- Thicker Soup: Want it thicker? Adding cream won’t ruin the taste.
- Chicken: There are pre-shredded chicken meat available at the store. White meats from last night’s fried chicken can be used as well. Just peel off the skin and bread.
Slow Cooker Adaptations:
Using cooked and diced chicken is good and can go better when sautéed with the veggies and garlic using a slow cooker’s bottom. Except the gnocchi, half and half and spinach, add all the liquids. It should be cooked in 3-4 hours. Placed the gnocchi on the third hour. Once done, pour in the half and half, put the spinach then stir well. Ready to serve.
Storing Chicken Gnocchi Soup:
Freezing this soup is not possible. The gnocchi and dairy won’t freeze well. But no worries, it does reheat well. On the stovetop, reheat on low heat and slowly stir it. Soup can separate by that.
- Freezing: Due to gnocchi and dairy contents of this soup, this can’t be frozen. Gnocchi will get soggy and the dairy mixture will separate.Storing: If you think there will be lots of leftovers or plans to have more than the serving suggested, cook the gnocchi separately then add to each serving.
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi SoupPrint Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 tbsp thyme, fresh
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup spinach leaves, fresh and chopped
- 1 cup chicken breast, diced and cooked
- 1 16 ounce package potato gnocchi on the pasta isle
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot add butter and olive oil. Over medium high heat sauté onion, celery and garlic until tender. Next, add the flour to create a roux and cook for another minute.
- In a large pot, add butter and olive oil. Sauté the onion, celery and garlic for about 30 secondsTo create a roux, simply add flour and let it cook for a minute.
- To thicken, pour the chicken broth slowly.
- Gnocchi, chicken, carrots, thyme, spinach makes this soup.
- Allow gnocchi to get cooked while broth thickens the soup for about 5 minutes. Serve as soon as cooked to keep the warm. Salt and pepper can be added as desired.