Bone marrow is essential in this recipe because it gives a different experience and lots of richness to the dish. Bulalo is the Filipino term for Beef shank. You will still crave for this delicious soup even when the weather is hot.
- Beef Shank: Excellent for soups and stews.
- Cabbage: A perfect pair for this beef shank.
- Pechay: Aside from being a good garnish, it has natural flavors.
- Corn: Adds a bit of sweetness and distinctive flavor.
- Whole Pepper Corn: Adds flavor and spice to the beef
- Green Onion: Freshy flavor.
- Onion: Heightens the taste of the soup.
- Water: Use to boil and as base of the soup.
- Fish Sauce: Salty taste.
- Tenderize: In a pressure cooker, pour the water and beef shank then bring to a boil. Add the pepper corn then simmer for 30 minutes. If using an ordinary pot, simmer for 1 and a half hours until tender. Once the beef is tender, add corn and let boil for another 10 minutes.
- Season: Add fish sauce, cabbage, pechay and green onion.
- Serve: Serve while it’s hot.
Tips and Variations:
- Green Beans: This can be added as well along with the vegetables this soup has. It adds crunch and extra appeal to this Beef Shank Soup.
- On the fridge: You can place this in a shallow container then refrigerate for 1-2 days. If vegetables are removed or separated, the soup and the beef can last for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: Putting this inside the freezer can make it stay for another 1-2 weeks. Just place in a air tight container and freeze.
Filipino-Style Bulalo (Beef Shank Soup)Print Recipe
- 900 g beef shank
- ½ pc cabbage, whole leaves
- 5-10 leaves pechay
- 3 pcs corn, cut into 3 each
- 2 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 120 g green onion
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce