You can be fascinated by how this Gumbo Soup Recipe can come with just four simple steps that can give you a mouthwatering taste that can be served as soup, appetizer and even as main course on your dinner table.
- Andouille Sausage: Not just ordinary sausage but brings smoky taste to the dish.
- Chicken Thighs: Meat stays juicy even after cooking for long time.
- Shrimp: Brings the seafood taste to this soup.
- Yellow Onion: Gives out strong flavor.
- Green Onions: Gives aromatic base to the soup.
- Bell Pepper: Brings color, flavor and crunch.
- Celery Ribs: Brings extra color and flavor.
- Garlic: Adds savory flavor.
- Chicken Broth: Makes the soup richer.
- Butter: Heightens the flavors of other ingredients.
- All-Purpose Flour: Thickens the soup.
- Cajun Seasoning: Boosts the flavor of this dish.
- Kosher Salt: To season.
- Ground Black Pepper: To taste
- Bay Leaf: Aromatic flavor to the food.
- White Rice: Perfect when served during dinners.
This can look complicated but this one is easy to prepare.
- Preheat: Preheat oven to 400 degrees C while preparing the ingredients.
- Rub: Massage the thighs with Cajun seasoning then place on a greased baking pan.
- Bake: Have the chicken thighs baked for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven. Let it cool.
- Cook: Using a Dutch oven, put oil then add flour. Constantly stir using a whisk. Cook while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until brown then stir in onion, bell pepper, and celery. Saute the added vegetables until half cooked. Add the sausage then cook for 2 minutes. Add broth gradually. Stir using whisk constantly then bring to boil. Let simmer for 30 minutes, covered. Add chicken, garlic and Worcestershire sauce and allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve: Remove bay leaves. Sprinkle with green onions and serve over rice.
Given that this recipe is a combination of chicken, sausage and shrimp. You can enjoy this without the presence of the other.
- Hot Pepper Sauce: You can add hot pepper sauce in this recipe that will also add tomato taste.
- On the fridge: Place in a shallow container then put in the fridge. This will ensure no spoilage for the next 3-4 days.
- Freeze: Place in a container then put in the fridge to make the Gumbo stay for another 3-4 weeks.
Gumbo RecipePrint Recipe
- 350 g andouille sausage, sliced into half inch pcs
- 600 g boneless chicken thighs, skinned
- 500 g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 900 mL - 1 L chicken broth
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. cajun seasoning (without salt)
- kosher salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- cooked white rice, for serving