Christmas is one of the most awaited time of the year. It is an occasion for all ages where family members are gathered to celebrate the birth of Jesus in Catholicism and even observed by non-Christians. As special as the occasion, lots of foods are served during this day and is mostly celebrated at Christmas eve or the night before.
Here’s one of the recipes traditional to a country that makes Christmas day even more special, Traditional British Christmas Pudding. This comes with patience-requiring 8 hours of boiling and a number of ingredients but absolutely makes a worth the wait
- Vegetable oil: Healthier!
- Soya milk: Softens the pudding.
- Currants: Have slight sweetness and acidic kick
- Sultanas: Green grapes as we all know.
- Mixed peel: Usually candied lemon and orange peel.
- Brown sugar: Sweetener.
- Orange and Lemon rind and juice: Gives out aroma and balance to the flavors.
- Apple: Flavor.
- Carrot: Extra taste.
- Almonds: Adds flavor and crunch to this dish. Good source of Vitamin E!
- Breadcrumbs: Adds to the base.
- Plain flour: Base.
- Egg substitute: Keeps this Vegan!
- Mixed spice: Powdered blend of spices usually used in British cuisines.
- Salt: To balance and heighten the flavors.
- Brandy: Base of the sauce.
- Rich soya cream: Makes the sauce richer and thicker.
- Mix: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and let stand overnight.
- Before cooking: If the mixture is stiff, just add soy milk to soften. Pour the mixture in two greased basins covered with parchment paper then tie with string.
- Steam: In a large steamer then put the basins and bring the water to boil. Cover and let steam for 8 hours.
- Cool: Once cooked, remove the paper and let cool.
- Serve: Serve with brandy sauce.
For the Brandy Sauce:
- Whip: In a bowl, whip the cream and brandy together.
Tips and Variations
This has already has lots of ingredients that makes it complete but you can always add more nuts to it.
Pudding must be hung when stored. DO not leave it resting on a shelf. I can be in a cool and dry place and can last for months. The wine and the sugar act as its preservatives leaving it good for a period of time. Just make sure to check at least once to twice a month to check for molds.
Traditional British Christmas PuddingPrint Recipe
- 6 oz vegetable oil
- 6 oz soya milk
- 8 oz currants
- 8 oz sultanas
- ½ cup mixed peel
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 grated orange rind and juice
- 1 grated lemon rind and juice
- 1 grated apple
- 1 grated carrot
- 250 g peel almonds,chopped
- 250 g breadcrumbs
- 250 g plain flour
- 3 tbsp egg substitute
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 glassful brandy
- 8 oz rich soya cream (for the Brandy Sauce)
- 2 oz brandy (for the Brandy Sauce)