Spinach is known to be a superfood for it carries a lot of nutrients and is low in calorie. Also, it tastes so good that it can either be cooked or served raw. This Spinach Soup recipe offers tons of nutrients from different spinach and other vegetables it contains. Being a vegetable soup, you should expect healthy benefits from this aside from the good combination of flavors and seasonings. Perfect for a healthy meal plan or to balance the diet.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: This is vegan. Perfect for vegetarian dishes.
- Onion, Green Onions, Garlic: Adds a good flavor and aroma when sauteed.
- Russet Potato: Has a pleasantly bland flavor that carries other flavors.
- Spinach: As the main ingredient, it has tons of nutrients and green color.
- Vegetable broth: Adds more the vegetable flavor to other liquid content.
- Kosher Salt: Consists mainly of sodium and without additives.
- Black Pepper: To taste.
- Heavy Cream: Must be vegetarian. Adds to the tenderness and taste.
This healthy soup is easy as one-two-three. Let’s have a quick but healthy Spinach Soup.
- Saute: Over medium heat add oil in a large pot. Add onion and green onions until tender then stir in garlic. Add the potato and spinach. Pour the vegetable broth then bring to a boil. Stir occasionally until spinach is cooked or turns bright green, potatoes softens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend: Using an -immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth then stir in cream.
- Garnish: Top with more cream and croutons.
Tips and Variations:
While this recipe is vegetarian, do not hesitate to add meat such as chicken if you would like to. It will add more flavor to this recipe, however, not as healthier as this one but the vegetables and fibers can add to the balance.
- Chicken Broth: This will be a good substitute to the broth if you are a non-vegetarian.
How about the leftovers?:
It is really good to know how to properly store foods so none will be spoiled and be put to thrash. It is good to consume this soup since it holds a lot of nutritious content. But in case you want to have some for later, you can try this:
- Freeze: Place in an airtight container and store in the freezer. This can stay up to 2 days.
- Reheat: Thaw for 4-5 hours overnight. Place in a pot then reheat in a medium heat.
Vegetarian Spinach SoupPrint Recipe
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 russet potato, peeled and chopped into ½ cubic inch
- 1 lb spinach, thick stems trimmed
- 4 c vegetable broth
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 heavy cream, plus more for garnish
- Over medium heat add oil in a large pot. Add onion and green onions until tender then stir in garlic. Add the potato and spinach.
- Pour the vegetable broth then bring to a boil for about 2 minutes. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes until spinach is cooked or turns bright green, potatoes softens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Using an -immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth then stir in cream.
- Garnish with more cream and croutons.